Monday, May 14, 2012

Basic Baked Chicken - Honey Soy Sauce

This past Friday was one of those days...  Although Fridays are long now, it still only till noon, when the first of my boys get home.  I try to get as much done as possible before then, but these days, with a 5 month old, it's often out of my control.  And then there are those Fridays like this past week.  I usually do my main shopping on Wednesday, but this past week, I had a busy schedule then we went out to a barbeque at night.  Thursday was Lag B'omer, so the day was spent with the kids.  I wasn't that concerned, because I figured that I'd send my husband after work to the store for me.  There was a work related event that night, but my husband didn't plan on going.  Of course, in the end my husband had to go.  And so after finishing my Shabbos shopping at 12 on Friday, I was finally home to cook.  Only problem was that the baby had napped in the car and was now fully awake and wanting my attention.
Shabbos would have to be made with quick and easy recipes. For the chicken, I decided to make the easy and tasty Basic Baked Chicken with the Honey Soy Sauce (Spice and Spirit, page 234).  Between the hustle and bustle of making salmon (simple yet delicious, with salt, pepper, paprika, lemon and oil), salads (we have a minimum of 3 dips and 3 salads), chicken soup and accompaniment, and chicken and side dished (never mind the dessert I made) I simply forgot to put up the cholent.

I only realized 30 minutes after I lit candles.  I had my brother in law and his wife coming over for Shabbos meal, and nothing to serve. 
Friday night chicken, usually ends up being Sunday nights dinner, as no one really has room to eat after the first 2 courses.  Now Friday nights dinner would have to become Shabbos day lunch.  Chicken salad it would be.  I diced the cold chicken and mixed it with fresh greens and tomatoes. I poured on a honey mustard dressing and a delicious, light lunch was made.

Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 Tbs. dijon mustard
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

Mix all dressing ingredients in bowl.


No comments:

Post a Comment