Sunday, May 13, 2012

Honey and Whole Wheat Challah

Happy Mothers Day!  I hear a lot people saying 'we don't celebrate mothers day' or 'mothers day is everyday by us'.  I hear people saying that the day is for 'those people', they don't honor their mothers the rest of the year, so they take one day to be nice to them.  That is such ignorance.  There are many people, believe it or not, who love their mothers dearly, call them daily, and still take this day to do something special for their mother to show how much they appreciate all have done and continue to do.  I'd like to take this opportunity to public say to my mother; ' Mommy, I love you! And it's not just today.  Thank you for always being there for us.'
My eldest, the one who first gave me mother status, 9 years ago, likes to spend time in the kitchen with me. He helps chose menus, and often updates the spices in the cooking. This past Thursday night, he joined me in the kitchen as I was about to start baking challah. Since I'm on my Purple Cookbook Project, I asked him to pick a new recipe, that we haven't tried before.  He chose the Honey Whole Wheat Challah  (Spice and Spirit, page 55)  The challah came out okay, but not as sweet as I would have imagined from the 1 cup and 1 Tbsp of honey.

3 comments:

  1. Challahs look GREAT! Thanks I was looking for a honey whole wheat Challah. Would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elephant,
    To tell you the truth, I found this recipe a bit heavy, but then again it has a higher whole wheat ratio then my regular recipe (which I posted here: http://aroundthedinnertable.blogspot.ca/2011/02/easy-and-tasty-half-and-half-challah.html) I also found that is wasn't a sweet challah at all (not that I like cake like, but I like to taste a bit) Of course, that might be what u look for in a challah, my son loved the taste of this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably because he helped make it :). Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try a different whole wheat challah and mix it with 1/2 regular flour. I'll check out the recipe you posted. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete